SPIRITO HISTORIC FIRE DEPARTMENT
ENGINE NUMBER 1
1939 Ford chassis powered by a 95 horse power flat head V-8 engine
W.S. Darley open cab fire engine body with a 200 gallon water tank
American-March 2 stage mid-ship mounted fire pump capable of pumping 500 gallons of water per minute at 120 PSI
The City of Hollywood Florida originally purchased this fire engine, new, in 1939.
Original records at the Darley factory in Illinois show that the fire engine was shipped to the City of Hollywood without a pump which is unusual.
The American-Marsh pump was installed in Hollywood.
Engine #1 was originally painted white with red fenders.
This engine was in service in the City of Hollywood until the early sixties. It was then sold to the Town of Bithlow Florida, which is near Orlando. The fire engine was refurbished and was then painted all red with silver running boards.
It remained in service in Bithlow Florida for several years until the town contracted with Orange County Fire for its fire protection.
In 1985 it was purchased by a fire fighter in Longwood Florida. It remained in his care until March of 1998, when it was purchased by Peter Spirito, a volunteer fire fighter with the Town of Lake Park.
The firefighting tools and equipment on this fire engine are correct for the time period that this engine was in active service.
SHFD Engine number 1 weights over 8,000 pounds.
Gas mileage is 4 miles per gallon “around town”
The pump is still capable of pumping water and is operated on a regular basis
All contents of this site are Copyright 2007-2014 by Peter Spirito